Sunday 2 June 2013

In Moff I trust - yes still.

I'm writing this because I'm really uncomfortable with the level of hate being slung at Doctor Who at the moment.  I'm seeing a lot of negative stuff surrounding Eleven, Clara and indeed the writers. Especially towards Steven Moffat.

So here is my theory behind series 7b of Doctor Who.

I saw a lot of people complain about how Clara felt repetitive.  We had seen her ilk before, more than once. Not least I suppose because we met Clara twice before we meet her properly.  In addition to this in her first outing we find out that the Doctor stalked her as a child which echoed strongly of young Amelia Pond.

Ok I can see what that seems uninspired and a little bit dull but what if this was deliberate? What do I mean? Well This year is the 50th anniversary of the show and maybe all these nods which are being dismissed as being done before or lazy writing are in fact deliberately harking back to earlier stories and familiar tropes to culminate in the 50th anniversary special.

And why do I think this? I agree that this series has felt lacklustre but lest we forget, when Russell T Davies was show runner we were subject to a number of below par episodes.  I am still believing in Steven Moffat delivering an exciting 50th special because I still think he's one of the best writers working in British TV at the moment.

In series 5 many people picked up on inconsistencies and 'plot holes' which were finally resolved in The Big Bang.  I think we might all be underestimating The Moff and his command of all things TImey Wimey and he's going to blow us all away with something brilliant.

If I'm wrong I will eat my dalek dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment